Friday, July 8, 2011

Banana Cake

After Andy's Dad recent surgery, he mentioned how much he liked the banana cake, at the rehab center. Ever since that conversation I have been craving banana cake. Yesterday I searched for a healthy recipe and found one here. Of course, I can never leave well enough alone, so here is my version:

Banana Cake

1½ cups spelt flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
dash of nutmeg
1/4 cup organic white sugar
1/4 cup organic brown sugar
2 tablespoons
melted butter (unsalted)
2 farm fresh eggs, at room temperature
1 cup banana puree, (about 2 very ripe medium-sized bananas)
½ cup 2% plain yogurt (I used Fage)
½ teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease (I use Pam spray) a 9 inch round pan. Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl and set aside. In another bowl beat the eggs; then mix in the rest of the wet ingredients. Make a well in the flour mixture and add the wet ingredients with a spatula, gently fold until just mixed. (do not over beat). Pour into prepared pan and bake for 20 -25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on a baking rack.

Andy served the cake with crushed strawberries and a dollop of lemon curd.


I think when blueberries come in, they would be a great addition to add to the batter.

~Michele

No comments:

Post a Comment