Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Ernie Harwell

I had planned my post for today. I changed my mind after hearing that Ernie Harwell had left this life. I decided today I will just share some of my memories.

I think any kid growing up in Detroit, in the 60's, remembers the Good Humor truck had real bells, the vegetable man's truck with the loud speaker, and the all dreaded "street light curfew." Every kid I knew had to be home when the streets lights came on.

It didn't matter what age you were though; it seemed everybody loved "The Detroit Tigers," and the "voice of summer," Ernie Harwell. My first memories start when I was 6 or 7. It seemed it was always really hot in the city, so after barely making that street light curfew, we would quickly shower, as we knew Mom was dishing up bowls of sherbet. Mom said sherbet was cooling on hot summer nights. It was hot! She would then hoist this monstrous fan into the front window and say "rest here a bit and the bedrooms will be cool soon." Ernie's voice was always on the radio in the background. I didn't care much about sports, but his voice was something I grew to love. It meant summer, comfort and home. In the following years my Mom was often puzzled to find the transistor radio under my pillow, she knew I wasn't interested in the game. My Dad worked for the police department and was often called out at night. I worried about his safety. Ernie's voice was so comforting to me. I wish I had shared that with him. Just a simple letter....one I never wrote. Never miss an opportunity to thank someone for being "whatever they are to you."

Thanks Ernie, for being that comforting voice to a scared little girl. You'll be greatly missed and always remembered.

4 comments:

  1. What a great, touching memory, bean. And, well said.

    I recall when Michele's Dad was retiring. He (and Michele's brother) had an Amoco station in Farmington Hills. We had a party at the station attended by family, friends, and patrons.

    Ernie lived in the area and was a routine customer. He showed up and one woman came to him early on. She said, "Oh, Mr. Harwell, I'm a big fan and it is really nice to meet you in person!"

    Without missing a beat and with classic humility, Ernie replied in his well known voice, "Why, thank you, young lady. But, I'm here for Ken . . . I'm a fan of Ken Vaughan."

    Thank you, Ernie, for being real, for caring, for being a simple yet poignant role model.

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your story. You are right. It was the comforting voice. Mike listened to the games on the radio and I listened to Ernie's voice and felt secure and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when the gas station was on Davidson (I believe) in Detroit! I didn't know it moved to Farmington!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Sonja, you have a great memory. It was the corner of third and Davidson. When it was taken down to build the new expressway, Kenny and Dad moved the business to Farmington Hills. (10 mile and Middlebelt)

    ReplyDelete