Sunday, May 30, 2010

A Beetle? (ALEL and Val?)

OK, we were NOT planning to blog  today. We felt compelled, however when Michele and I saw this really neat beetle when relaxing in our yard. I watched her fly down by me and I, interested, held out my sunglasses for her to climb onto. She did and slowly crept around them until I put her down on the grass (or, in our yard, it's called "weeds").

She sat there for a very long time while I debated running in to get my camera. I finally went and she was gone when I came back. We looked, couldn't find her, and just resigned ourselves that I missed a really neat bug shot and we're happy to have seen her. I teased Michele that she was supposed to keep her eye on her while I went to get my camera, tracking her deep into the woods if needed. Then, out of nowhere she flew back through the yard and landed on Michele's head!

Not knowing what it was, Michele knocked her out of her hair. She laid "stunned" for the next hour or so. I knew she wasn't dead, I had seen her move, and think feigning death was a defensive posture. (Kinda like what people do when I come to talk to them.  ;-> )

I luckily got the shots below and am hoping ALEL (Agricultural Landscape Ecology Lab) can shed some light on identification. The large black spots seem like mimic eyes, again as a defense and it is about 1.25 inches long.

Val, my sweet sister: I would be intrigued in your thoughts on the larger interpretation of the above events. It unfolded in an interesting way.

Andy

4 comments:

  1. Wow that is a very strange looking bug!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Pictures! Its a click beetle! This is one of my favorites, for those that have not seen this, its big about an inch long. The larvae of click beetles are called wire worms and live below ground. The family name is Elateridae.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue: we thought so too, but we thought it was a really neat bug. We've never seen one quite like it.

    Mary: We really appreciate your help and knowledge. And, it confirms what research Michele as done too.

    We really don't go around looking for bugs, but they seem to find us. Plus, I really like a photographic challenge.

    Thanks for your help, continue the great work at ALEL, and take care!

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not the sister Andy was hoping would comment on the larger implications of the click beetle visit, but, alas, I feel compelled ...

    This beetle is a single specimen with unusual qualities that may indicate the species is on the cusp of an evolutionary breakthrough.

    This specific type of click beetle (Elateridae cocoa) is known for two features. 1) It is attracted to the scent of cocoa (hence, the use of Michele's head as a landing pad - she may have eaten so much chocolate that week that the scent was detectable in her hair); and 2) It has an amazing capacity to bend and jump (its name "elateridae" derives from the same word that "elastic" comes from).

    In the specimen Andy & Michele captured on film, I hypothesize that the click beetles has mutated and has begun to evolve into a higher (well, different) species and - after seeing Andy's elastic yoga moves in his backyard (that's what he meant by his words "relaxing in the yard") - thought that Andy, too, is part of the elateridae family, so the click beetle could join Andy and Michele's tribe.

    It would be interesting to see if other humans who consume several pounds of chocolate per week - and who perform yoga moves in their back yards - also find that the click beetle is attracted to them. And does this occur only in the Midwest? Or has it become widespread?

    I eagerly await responses from other beetle observers/yoga practitioners/chocolate consumers.

    (If you think the click beetle has some interesting moves and clicking sounds when placed on its back, you should see Andy. ... Hmmm. ... On second thought, maybe it's best that you don't ...)

    ReplyDelete