Thursday, June 24, 2010

Cygnets, Part IV

I was really lucky. As you know, Michele and I have been “stalking” a swan family in Suttons Bay for several weeks now. This latest time I took A LOT of shots and was about to stop for the night. I could tell the family was a little more shy this night which was likely a good thing seeing that tourists (i.e., boaters) were back in full force.

Then, I saw the light turn even prettier; that soft, yellow evening light that makes subjects glow. It had a beautiful affect on the water in contrast to the birds. I decided to try another round. This time, the family seemed used to me since I had been following them from the shore for over 30 minutes already.

Alternately stopping and feeding, they got absorbed and paddled across the water to within a few feet of where I was standing. I don’t think I took my finger off the shutter button for 5 minutes except to switch from landscape to portrait and back again.

I was engrossed with one parent feeding the 2 cygnets when I heard a mild “honk” off camera-right outside of what I saw in the viewfinder. One parent had remained vigilant and signaled to the others that we were WAY too close. Without a pause the three quickly swam away to the other.

Hopefully, they weren’t bothered by this and were fine. And, I guess I’ll keep stalking them . . . until they learn how to file a restraining order.   ;->

Andy





























2 comments:

  1. Oh the light is perfectly perfect...however did you get the last shot..the orange and black and white and blues and gold...superb....you really should have your name on the photos..you know...own them. Truly beautiful and thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right--I need to watermark them. And, thanks for the kind words, Bren!
    Andy

    ReplyDelete