Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Grandpa

This is the kinda story that sends shivers down my spine . . . still. 


A few years ago for Christmas I gave CD's of some favorite songs. When my two Aunts looked at the playlist they stopped and stared at me. "You like I'll Fly Away!?," they asked. I said I had just gotten into Alison Krauss' version earlier that year and loved it. 


They explained that their father, my Grandpa, ended every Sunday service with that song. My Grandpa was a Baptist Minister and died two weeks before I was born. I was not aware of hearing this song . . . post partum. They and my Mom all loved the song and had always said that I looked like young pictures of Grandpa. It was intriguing.
My oldest sister had been watching all of this and nicely slipped her gift to me asking to open it next. As I pulled back the wrapping, I could see a hand-made mosaic with an old picture of my Grandfather in the center about the age of 20 or so playing a fiddle. This was super-imposed on a background of sheet music to "I'll Fly Away." We were all stunned.


Now fast forward to the recent family gathering we had last week for the U.S. holiday of Thanksgiving. I relayed the story above to my brothers from out of town. They too were amazed and those that could shared tender stories of Grandpa for the next 15 minutes or so. My brothers then left for a 5 hour drive to their next destination.


About 15 minutes after they left they gave us a call. They had stopped at a Starbucks for some coffee for the road. When they walked in playing on the stereo was . . . "I'll Fly Away."


May your Holiday Season also be filled with much wonder and delight.
Andy

5 comments:

  1. .....and I did get shivers..goodness...and you do look like him!

    Thank you for the holiday wishes...all is merry and peeping bright.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great story Andy!!!Yes you do look like grandpa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful story, Andy, and you definitely resemble grandpa. "I'll Fly Away" has been a favorite of mine ever since someone requested I play it for their family funeral.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful story, thanks, brother!

    ReplyDelete