Monday, November 22, 2010

Gingerbread Scones

With the Holidays approaching, I always start thinking of gingerbread. This is one of my favorite scone recipes.

Gingerbread Scones

1 C white flour*
1 C whole wheat flour
2 T brown sugar*
2 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
1 t cinnamon
1 t ginger
1/4 t cloves
1/4 t baking soda

1/4 C cold butter

3/4 C raisins
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 T maple syrup
1/2 C buttermilk
1/4 C molasses

Combine dry ingredients (first 9) in a large mixing bowl. Using a pasty blender, cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in raisins.

In a small bowl, stir together the egg, maple syrup, buttermilk and molasses; add all at once to flour mixture. Using a fork, stir until ingredients are combined. Gently knead dough a few times and divide evenly into a greased pan.

I use a mini-scone pan. Sprinkle with coarse sugar and bake at 375 for 10 - 15 minutes. Watch carefully and remove when scones start to pull away from pan or toothpick inserted comes out clean.

*I often change the flours to whatever I have on hand. I prefer not to use a lot of white flour, so often use a mixture of barley, wheat and spelt flours. Also, you an use a bit more brown sugar and skip the maple syrup.

Serve warm with butter and honey or freeze for when you need a breakfast or snack in a hurry.

~Michele

2 comments:

  1. You could have a different type of scone for each week! These look super yummy. I wish I could just come over and eat them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look wonderful, just like the last batch you made.

    Guess where I was today...looking for a pan like yours. No luck!! Might have to search online.

    Oh...ahem...skip the maple syrup...not!....I'm Canajan Eh!))))

    ReplyDelete