Friday, September 28, 2012

Friday

I'm feeling somewhat overwhelmed. Someone backed out in front of my Mom (On Hyne Rd. Priss!), nearly totaling her SUV. Thankfully my Mom is fine and just waiting for her truck to be repaired. 

My sister (girlfriend - sister) and her family had to say good-bye to their beloved dog yesterday. My heart hurts so much for them. She took such wonderful care of their dog during his extended health problems. He will be greatly missed. 

Sadly, this week, northern MI lost one of the finest anchor people ever. Scott Michael Trager was the first face that became familiar to me when we moved here in'98. After all these years I still found that same comfort starting my day watching him on MTM. He never seemed like a news reporter, but more like a friend telling you about an event. If the story was happy, sad, serious, or funny he put his heart in every story he told. He made you feel like it was the most important story he ever told. And he ALWAYS started my day off on a happy note with his quirky sense of humor. Also, he took time to answer all my silly e-mail questions. No words can express the loss of Scott. He will be deeply missed and always remembered. I send my love and sympathy to family and co-workers. 

My back/neck has decided to take a break from supporting me, which causes extreme headaches. Thanks to my wonderful PT for a great massage and lots of tips on how to get it back on track. 

On the up side, I was able to have breakfast with a wonderful group of girlfriends earlier this week. Also had a great visit with my sister (girlfriend - sister). We shared lots of laughs and she likes my "heathy baking," which makes me so, so happy.  I made a new gingerbread scone recipe for her visit. It's similar to one I posted a couple years ago ... but I will share this one too. They are not sweet but very spicy and yummy.

Gingerbread Scones II

1/3 C buttermilk
1/3 C dark molasses

1 C unbleached white flour
1 C barley flour
2 t baking powder
1/4 t baking soda
1 t cinnamon
1 t ginger
1/4 t cloves
1/4 t salt

6 T unsalted butter

3/4 C raisins


Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Grease and flour an eight piece scone pan.

Blend buttermilk and molasses; set aside. 

Throughly mix dry ingredients (all except raisins). Blend the butter in using a pasty blender. Stir in buttermilk mixture till well blended. Gently work in raisins and divide the dough into the 8 sections of the scone pan. (If you don't have a scone pan you could simply form the dough into a circle and cut into 8 sections.) Sprinkle the tops of scones with sugar and bake for 12-14 minutes. 


I don't have a picture of these scones, but I'll share a picture that I love. It always makes me smile when I see this picture.


My sister - my friend - I love you!


~Michele


No comments:

Post a Comment