Friday, September 21, 2012

Foodie Friday - Uncle Jim's Shortbread


Growing up, I spent a lot of time with my Aunt, Uncle, and cousins. (I have mentioned my cousins in earlier posts. They create beautiful sweaters and more; "Cherry Belle Designs." Check out their latest creations.) It wasn't until recently that I learned Uncle Jim's favorite cookie is shortbread. Wonder why I never knew that ... probably we were busy being "kids" and not paying much attention to what the "grown-ups" liked. I now call this recipe "Uncle Jim's Shortbread." I wish we didn't live over 900 miles apart, so I could share these cookies with him more often. 

Classic Shortbread*

1/2 C butter; at room temperature
1/3 C powdered sugar
1/4 t vanilla
1 C flour



Use the back of a wooden spoon to cream the butter until it's light and fluffy. Blend in sugar and then add vanilla. Work in the flour and knead, just a bit, until the dough is smooth. 

Press, firmly, into a well greased "Brown Bag" shortbread mold or an 8 1/2 inch pie plate. Using a fork dot the top of shortbread with tiny holes.  


 Bake at 325 degrees for 27 - 30 minutes or until lightly browned. (Original recipe calls for baking 30 -35 minutes ... so other ovens may require that longer baking time. Cookie should be browned all the way to the center or the center will not be done and it will stick to the pan.) 


 Cool on a rack for about 10 minutes before loosening the edges with a knife. Then I lay a cutting board on top of the pan and invert it. (Test the pan first to see if it is still hot. You may need to use potholders.) Hopefully your cookie will come out with ease. If not, set the board on the counter and gently tap the bottom of the pan. Cut the shortbread while it's still warm. 

I usually double this recipe, because it gets nibbled up pretty fast in our house. Also, it freezes well. 

*recipe from: "Brown Bag Cookie Art Shortbread Book"


Happy Baking

~Michele

No comments:

Post a Comment