Saturday, October 2, 2010

Stir Fry

Autumn fresh vegetables, some Gyozo (pot stickers), and a wok. What more do you need for a great meal? Stir fries require three things: food prep, food cook time knowledge, and good sauces. Often a great sauce can make the others moot. 
This one includes: 1) carrots, 2) broccoli, 3) mushrooms, 4) leeks, and 5) red pepper. The item that takes the longest to cook is added first followed by the second item and so on. I added 1 and 2 together and then 3 and 4 with 5 as last. It's very engaging in that you have to stir the food at least half of the time. I am traditional in that the oil has to be peanut oil---great smell, great flavor and high flash point.
I bought the vegetarian pot stickers frozen. I did the vegetables first and then made the pot stickers using the cooking instructions on the package. 
So that the flavors had time to mingle and that it would be ready when the food was done, I made the sauce as the first step of this recipe. In this case the sauce has plenty of salt and other flavors so nothing else was added to the stir fried vegetables.
The sauce consists of simply mixing up the following and spooning it over a hot plate of food:

  • 1/3 cup tamari
  • 1/3 cup rice vinegar
  • 1 tsp sugar (I used brown sugar)
  • 1 tsp minced peeled fresh ginger
  • 1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil

Enjoy!
Andy

2 comments:

  1. i am always making stir fry. i am going to try your sause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you like it Kristi! Andy is the cook around here ..... I know very little about cooking, but I love to bake, so it all works out!

    ~Michele

    ReplyDelete