Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Pesto

With saffron brown basmati  rice.
I'm addicted. Really. I've had pesto in the past many times and liked it. But then, I made it fresh this summer for the first time. I used fresh ingredients. I used those of my own choosing. I was creative. I've made it MANY times since!


At our recent dinner picnic we had a salad with it spread over the top. It consisted of sliced heirloom tomatoes and a layer of pesto topped with sliced radishes and avocado. We ate it with some stone ground crackers, sage derby cheese (home-made by a good friend of ours!), some Raclette cheese, and, of course, Riesling.


I learned from my brother David to add a slice of lemon to a chilled white wine in the summer. Twist it in first and then enjoy how refreshing it is. He's right and it's great on a beach on a hot day!


I like traditional recipes, but love to modify too. This pesto has the following:

  1. a good bunch of basil (maybe a cup of loosely packed leaves).
  2. a good bunch of cilantro (yes, cilantro!). About a dense cup.
  3. half cup of walnuts.
  4. juice from a quarter lemon or so.
  5. Tbsp of white balsamic, lemon infused.
  6. 2 Tbsp of olive oil or so (I used Tuscan Herb infused).
  7. 1/4 Tsp salt (French Gray Sea Salt).
  8. And, the real secret to me . . . 4 garlic scapes, cut in half inch pieces.



Throw it all in a food processor. YUMMY!!
Andy


Oh, almost forgot . . . for my lunch the next day . . . with radishes, beets, and shredded roast beef . . .

2 comments:

  1. I am making this you know..just don't have enough basil (did poorly in the garden)...did you toast the walnuts first?? LOVED that you said French Grey Sea Salt...YES, there is a difference in salts no matter what anyone says.. have you tried Smoked Sweet Paprika salt?..(but not in this recipe...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not roast the walnuts first, Bren. Agree about salt---and love the different kinds. A standard for us is flaked Kosher---mild and excellent.

    I do have smoked sweet paprika, but not in a salt. We get our spices from www.penzeys.com. Luckily they have a store in a city we visit a couple of times a year and we stock up. Next we'll check on the paprika salt.

    Thanks and hope you like the pesto!!

    Andy

    ReplyDelete