Sunday, August 22, 2010

Chocolate Chip cookies

When summer winds down, I am always ready for cooler days and fall baking. Although the days aren't really cool yet, I am wanting to get back in the kitchen. (I'm already thinking of Christmas baking and decorating!)

Today I made some chocolate chip cookies from the cookbook book called "101 Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies" by Gwen Steege. The first part of the book is filled with tips on baking the type of cookie you prefer; soft, chewy, cakey, thin, crispy. Whatever you like; it's all there and quite helpful. The rest of the book covers basic to quite different twists on the good 'old Chocolate Chip Cookie. Here's the recipe I tried today:

Beverly's Chocolate Chip Cookies

3 C flour
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 C butter, softened
1 C brown sugar (I used dark)
1/2 C white sugar
2 t vanilla
2 eggs
1 1/2 C chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350. Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside. In a large mixing bowl cream the butter, vanilla and sugars until light. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Slowly add sifted mixture and mix until combined. Fold in chocolate chips. Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto greased baking sheet. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned for a chewy cookie or darker for a crisp cookie. Let stand for 1 minute before removing to a cooling rack.
Yield: 6 - 7 dozen

~Andy and Michele


PS: We had hoped to share shots of Friday night music, a "Pancake Breakfast Fly-In" at our local small airport, and a Pow-Wow. BUT, the weather and a couple of urgent issues got in the way of each of these events. It happens!   ;->   Andy

5 comments:

  1. Well, if you can't share the pancake breakfast or Pow-wow...then sharing a good chocochip recipe has got to be a great second best!! They are photo perfect, and I know they were delicious as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brenda, I hope they were good, as they were a gift!
    ~Michele

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can't go wrong when you use REAL butter :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just curious ... how did this recipe compare to other chocolate-chip cookies you've made? Sweeter? Chewier? Crisper? They look delicious, and every one of your cookies I've tasted has been spectacular. So I know I can trust your description on these ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie,
    I thought they were a bit sweet, that's just me, I don't like really sweet cookies. They were very true to the recipe in baking time. I took one batch out when they were slightly brown and they were soft and chewy, yet cooked all the way through. The other batch I left in a couple minutes longer and they were crisp, yet did not taste overdone!

    Thanks for reading!
    ~Michele

    ReplyDelete