Friday, August 10, 2012

Foodie Friday - Banana Muffins



We love bananas and always have some on hand. But this time of year, with all the local fruit coming in, the poor bananas never seem to get eaten. I've been freezing a lot of the overripe ones and some "way too ripe" had to hit the compost pile. I decided to bake muffins with this weeks overripe ones.

Simple Banana Muffins

2 farm fresh eggs
1/2 C buttermilk (I used Shelters)
1/3 C vegetable oil
1 C mashed overripe bananas (2 -2/12 medium bananas)
7/8 C organic sugar*
1 3/4 C spelt flour
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 t cinnamon

*original recipe called for 1 1/2 C sugar and I cut it down to 7/8 C. I think the muffins were still too sweet, next time I would just use 1/2 C sugar.

Preheat oven to 325. In a large mixing bowl, slightly beat the eggs. Add the buttermilk, oil, and bananas and mix till well combined. Combine dry ingredients and fold into wet; being careful not to overmix. At this point you could fold in nuts or chocolate chips if disired.

Grease and flour muffin cups and fill about 3/4 full. Makes about 15 muffins. I made 12 muffins and used one mini loaf pan for the extra batter. Bake 15 - 20 minutes for muffins and the mini loaf bakes 25 - 30 depending on the size of your pan.


I enjoyed a warm muffin with some "Food for Thought" jam. Notice the neat handcrafted spoon that I got for Andy at one of our favorite galleries; "The Painted Bird."

~Michele

No comments:

Post a Comment