Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Spritz Cookies

At this point in the season, time is at quite a premium. I like this recipe because it is so simple and makes a lot of cookies. If time allows, I divide the dough and use a different flavorings and food colorings in each half.

Spritz Cookies
2 C butter; softened
2 C sugar
3 eggs
1 T vanilla
6 C flour
2 t baking powder
colored sugar for decorating

Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl. Add eggs and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Dough will be quite stiff; I have found it's easiest to stir in the last couple cups of flour by hand.

Use a "cookie press" to drop cookies onto an ungreased shiny cookie sheet. I like "Doughmakers" when I need a shiny cookie sheet. (for a dark sheet I have found "Chicago Metallic" works great) Decorate cookies as desired. Bake at 350 for 9 - 12 minutes or until edges are just just to lightly brown.

Yield: 18 - 19 dozen one inch cookies. Stored in a tightly sealed container, in a dark cool area, these cookies will keep 2 - 3 weeks or much longer in the freezer.

If you are looking for more holiday cookie recipes, this web site is great "Christmas-Cookies."

~Michele

2 comments:

  1. Oh how beautiful is that..the last photo makes me want to reach right out and grab a few)))). It's been years since I made these but I do remember they melted in your mouth...delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brenda. I do enjoy making spritz cookies and I'm thinking maybe next year I will do all spritz, in many different varieties. This year I made chocolate, spice and gingerbread, in addition to these plain butter ones.

    ReplyDelete