Thursday, February 17, 2011

Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars


OK, one last post for Valentine's week. Last Monday, I made these to take to my surgeon's office. They are easy and very good!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars

1/2 C butter; softened
1/2 C peanut butter
1/2 C sugar
1/2 C brown sugar
1 t vanilla
1 egg
2 T water
1 1/4 C flour
3/4 t baking soda
1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
1 C chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 13 X 9 baking pan. Mix first six ingredients until well blended; stir in water. Combine flour, soda, powder and salt and slowly add to mixture. Stir in chocolate chips and spread mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 18 - 20 minutes, till edges begin to brown. Cool and cut into 32 bars.

~Michele

6 comments:

  1. I'd like to make these tomorrow Michele. My problem in the past has been, natural peanut butters are more oily than others further processed and recipes don't turn out as expected. Would you describe the texture of your natural peanut butter as "thick as cream", "runny as soup" or "just about cement"))) or???

    They look just delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bring up a good point Brenda. Although the locally made one we buy is not oily, most natural peanut butters are. Therefore, I have changed this post to call for regular peanut butter, to make sure no one has problems. I made it with "Peter Pan" brand and it worked just fine. I hope you try this recipe and like it. It is from my Grandma.

    ~Michele

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made these today using our natural peanut butter..not too runny...last of the jar)))...and only had those tiny peanut butter chocolate covered cups so used them instead of choco chips. SIGH....so so delicious I had to put them away before they were all eaten in one swoop (oh swoop..sounds like scoop...maybe some vanilla ice cream on top...ummm..maybe an ice cream bar tomorrow!!!! Just one of the best recipes ever...THANK YOU

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you liked this recipe Brenda. The peanut butter cups in them sound so good! I'm thinking a scoop of ice cream and some homemade hot fudge topping would be just perfect! I wonder how many miles we'd have to walk to burn that off??? ;-)
    ~Michele

    ReplyDelete
  5. yum. i going to make these tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope your family likes them Kristi! Let me know what they think.
    ~Michele

    ReplyDelete